Saturday, March 10, 2007

Osaka....Right side? or.......

Which side of the escalator do you stand on to let other hurried people pass you by?

Do you open the right side up for other people? Or do you stand on the right side to open the left side up?

In Osaka, you leave open the left side on the stairs.

In Tokyo, you leave the right side open.

I don't know why people in Osaka don't open the right side up but the wrong side, no... I mean left side.

By the way, there are two escalators in this picture. The right side of the stairs is the one you need to use. The left one is coming down toward you.

You always want the "right" side.....

6 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Keith Webb said...

I can never keep track of which side to stand on, so I just follow the example of others already standing.

I was in London in February, they stand on the right side.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger takazawado said...

I fell down an escalator once. It wasn't that I was on the wrong side or anything. Actually I was trying to help a frightened child. I am pleased to say that the child got off safely even if I did not!!

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Faith said...

I remember my surprise when in Osaka a few years ago...being a long-time Tokyo resident, standing on the right side seemed wrong!

Nothing is as scary as going up the subway escalators in Moscow, though! Those things move at shinkansen speed!

Faith

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Righty Right!!!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Kari said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Kari said...

I love the way Osaka people like to be different from Tokyo. i have always been told that the need for being different from Tokyo was the reason we stand to the right.
Now in Redding, CA we only have one escalator. I don't think it matters to people here, which side they stand on, sinice it only goes one floor.
Awww I miss Osaka!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home